The Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Unified Communications project will replace the University’s existing Centrex telephone system with a new Cisco VoIP Unified Communications (UC) system. This system encompasses telephone, instant messaging, presence services and other current technologies.
Cisco VoIP Unified Communications provides several new features:
- New Cisco VoIP telephones with many advanced features including call history, feature buttons, a high-quality two-way speakerphone, and a phone model that includes a color display.
- Delivery of voicemail messages (as audio files) via email.
- Collaboration with the other campuses will be easier as the Lincoln campus will be part of the corporate directory. All calls to colleagues on the Lincoln campus will be toll free.
- Mobility features that allow incoming calls to your Cisco phone to simultaneously ring your cell phone or to hand-off in-progress calls to your cell phone.
- Jabber application for instant messaging, presence and call control capabilities of your desk phone. Jabber can be used in addition to a physical phone or optionally as a softphone in place of a physical phone.
IT is kicking off month long phases for the VoIP project, which means all Centrex phones will be replaced by new Cisco VoIP phones over the next 9 months. We will replace phones on a building-by-building basis.
The following is a tentative timeline that could change depending on conditions encountered during deployment, testing, and migration:
|A.O. Thomas Hall||Complete|
|Bruner Hall of Science||Complete|
|Calvin T. Ryan Library||Complete|
|Centennial Towers East||Complete|
|Centennial Towers West||Complete|
|Central Utilities Plant||Complete|
|College of Education||Complete|
|Cope Stadium Field House||Complete|
|Fine Arts Building||Complete|
|General Services Building||Complete|
|Health and Sports Center||Complete|
|Heating Plant East||Complete|
|Heating Plant West||Complete|
|Kearney Aviation Center||Complete|
|Memorial Student Affairs||Complete|
|Museum of Nebraska Art||Complete|
|Nebraska Student Union||Complete|
|Nester Hall North||Complete|
|Nester Hall South||Complete|
|NSC Driving Range||Complete|
|University Residence North||Complete|
|University Residence South||Complete|
|Ockinga Seminar Center||In Progress|
|Welch Hall||In Progress|